What is TRIO Talent Search
TRIO Talent Search, (TS) hosted by Finlandia University, is designed to stimulate and motivate college potential middle through high school and disconnected adults residing in Baraga, Gogebic, Houghton, Iron, and Ontonagon counties of Michigan whose parents do not possess a four-year college degree and/or come from a modest income family. The program is 100% funded by the US Department of Education and free to eligible participants.
What services are provided by TRIO TS?
- Career and academic advising
- Assistance with admissions and financial aid applications, and scholarship information
- Application fee waivers to schools, GED, and SAT tests (MUST be income-eligible)
- Administration and evaluation of career interest inventories
- College visits and campus tours
- Referrals to other agencies/programs
- Tutoring for middle school students at target schools only
- Referrals to GED completion programs
Who specifically does TRIO TS serve?
- Low-income and/or;
- First-generation college students (custodial parent[s] did not graduate from a 4-year college or university)
- Not yet graduates of a 4-year college or university.
- Priority to students in target schools and students who are low-income and first generation.
- U.S. citizen or permanent residency status legal.
- Completed the 5th grade or at least 11 years of age
- Have college potential (recommended 2.0 GPA) or other assessment tool. Grade reports, test scores, attendance records, counselor recommendations may be requested.
What specific schools does TRIO TS serve?
middle and High Schools:
A.D. Johnston (Bessemer)
Calumet & Washington MS
Dollar Bay-Tamarack City
Forest Park (Crystal Falls)
Luther L. Wright (Ironwood)